SUGGESTED EQUIPMENT LIST
Modify the following list depending on your personal needs and past experiences. Keep in mind that you generally won’t need any more gear for a 90-day tour than for a 7-day tour.
- Cycling helmet, Snell, ANSI, DOT and/or Consumer Safety Commission approved (required on all tours)
- Cycling shorts, synthetic chamois lining (2 pair)
- Leg warmers or tights for riding (rain pants could substitute)
- Short-sleeved shirt (2 or 3)
- Light, long-sleeved shirt for sun protection and off-bike wear
- Heavier long-sleeved top
- Rain/wind gear (jacket and pants) Gore-Tex or a similar waterproof, breathable fabric recommended.
- Comfortable shorts for off-bike wear (1 pair)
- Comfortable pants for off-bike wear (1 pair)
- Underwear (2 or 3 pair)
- Socks (2 or 3 pair)
- Touring shoes, good for walking as well as riding.
- Cycling gloves
- Bathing suit
- Sandals (optional)
FOR MOUNTAIN OR SPRING/FALL TRIPS
- Wool or polypropylene hat
- Wool or polypropylene mittens or gloves, over thin polypro liner gloves
- Waterproof shoe covers
- Wool or polypropylene socks
- Towel (lightweight to enhance quick drying)
- Pocket knife (Swiss Army type is handy)
- Lightweight lock and cable (not a U-lock)
- Two or three water bottles
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Insect repellent
PERSONAL TOOLS AND SPARE PARTS
- Tire levers/patch kit
- Spare tube (and tire, depending on the trip)
- Spare spokes
- Rearview mirror
- Allen wrenches for your bicycle
- Extra nuts and bolts (particularly for racks)
- Chain tool
- Bicycle light
- Any tools unique to your bicycle that are not included in the Adventure Cycling tool kit (see page 18).
- Sleeping bag – Down-fill bags are warmer, weigh less and pack smaller, but aren’t as effective in wet weather; fiber-fill bags are less expensive for comparable warmth, along with being heavier and bulkier, but will keep you warm even if wet.
- Sleeping pad – The closed-cell foam pads work well, but self-inflating or air mattress-styloe pads are more comfortable.
- Tent – Lightweight and preferably free-standing with separate rain fly.
- Ground cloth
- Personal eating utensils (fork, spoon, cup, bowl)
GROUP TOOLS PROVIDED BY ADVENTURE CYCLING
- Patch kit
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Pedal wrench
- Spoke wrench
- Open-end wrenches (8, 9, 10 mm)
- Allen wrenches (2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 mm)
- Cone wrenches (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 mm)
- Brake cables
- Derailleur cables
- Small vice grips
- Chain lube
- Coil wire
- Electrical tape
- Assorted plastic zip ties
- Hose clamps (assorted sizes)
GROUP GEAR PROVIDED BY ADVENTURE CYCLING
We provide a complete set of gear for cooking for our groups. See the below image for a list of what we have – and click the image to see a larger view.